Re: Intermittent wipers sticking

Paul,

I've shared your pain.  My E30 318i was doing similar things, and I ended up
pulling out the wiper motor.  The grease inside the motor tends to migrate
onto the internal electrical contacts over time, and ends up making the
contacts intermittent.  I pulled the motor, opened it up, cleaned the
contacts, reassembled the motor and reinstalled it. It cured the problem.
Note: saying that removing the wiper motor is a bitch is a very mild
understatement.  According to the Bentley manual, you should remove the
motor and the attached wiper linkage.  Well, after trying various ways to do
this, I concluded that it's nearly impossible.  I ended up using a mirror to
see where the bolts are located, and removed them by feel.

One possible problem on reinstallation is that you may not have the motor
parked properly.  If so, then your wipers will stop at an odd location.  You
may need to play around with this a little.  It's a bitch!

Everything I learned about this problem was found here:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/bmw_e30.html

More specifically, go to here:

http://cbsgi1.bu.edu/bmw/wipers.html

Here are some links to check out: