<e28> Vibration at speed, rough idle

Tony,

Steering wheel vibration on E28's is a common problem.  Even the slightest
imbalance can cause a vibration. But the main culprit are the thrust arm
bushings.  I have replaced mine with a 750iL equivalent and my vibrations
have gone away almost completely.  My BMW club members also tell me that the
type of wheel used may be contributor.

As far as the rough idle goes,  the M30 engine in the E28 has never been
smooth at idle.  You can come close but there will always be some roughness.
I have spent hours tweaking the fuel injection and have come close. When
everything is good you will feel a slight irregular vibration in the shifter
and a occasional miss at the exhaust pipe.

Georg
87 535is
tfam@domain.elided