E30: Lock cylinder replacement

The drivers side door lock cylinder on my '88iX has to be replaced.
BMW has a new cylinder but they say I would have a separate key
for that lock alone.

When asked if there was a way to rekey the new cylinder to work
with my old key, the person I spoke with was unsure.  I know there
is a lock-rebuild kit that you can get that allows you to change the
tumblers to match your existing key so why can't you change the
tumblers on a new lock cylinder?

Of course, they said they could order a new cylinder from BMW
n Germany but I think the time and cost wouldn't be worth it.

Does anyone know if I can rekey a new cylinder to match my
my existing key?

Thanks,
Dave.

- --