RE: E30: Lock cylinder replacement

Dave Rathnow <Dave.Rathnow@domain.elided> asks:

> The drivers side door lock cylinder on my '88iX has to be replaced.
> BMW has a new cylinder but they say I would have a separate key
> for that lock alone.
> When asked if there was a way to rekey the new cylinder to work
> with my old key, the person I spoke with was unsure.  I know there
> is a lock-rebuild kit that you can get that allows you to change the
> tumblers to match your existing key so why can't you change the
> tumblers on a new lock cylinder?

Dave,
They are full of it. It is extremely simple to re-key a new lock cylinder.
There are 6 (8?) numbered tumblers that need to be placed in the new lock
cylinder in the same sequence as they were in the old one. With a lock
cylinder in your hand, this is less then 5 minutes of DIY work first time
around. 30 seconds afterwards.
Your dealer's parts people are clueless.
You could insist on them re-keying the new cylinder properly. Or you could
do it yourself and come out ahead in time, money and aggravation.

> Of course, they said they could order a new cylinder from BMW
> n Germany but I think the time and cost wouldn't be worth it.
> Does anyone know if I can rekey a new cylinder to match my
> my existing key?

There is absolutely no reason to order an E30 lock cylinder from anywhere.
I would seriously consider doing it yourself.

You can get a head start by reading past posts on this subject from the
archives: http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/search.html
Feel free to email myself or the digest with further questions.

good luck,
alex f