Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 18:08:30 -0500
From: rfg@domain.elided
Subject: Auto Xmissions & Winter Driving
<snip>
        I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission, so I
am
not absolutely sure of this but...I always thought that if you put an
automatic transmission into  "L", "1",  or "2", that this provided
increased torque to the driving wheels and was a poor choice for
driving in
the snow and/or for getting your car moving if you were stuck in snow.
Am
I wrong?

        I ask because a recent letter from a reader published in a
Washington Post column called "Dr. Gridlock" advised that the best way
do this was to use the lower gears.

        I know that with a standard transmission you would want to put
it
in a higher gear (lower torque) and gently let the clutch out, hoping
that
with the reduced torque you would get forward movement rather than a
spinning of the wheels.
<snip>
        Many thanks,
        Bob G.