RE: Question On BBS Rim Fitment

From: David Maples <dmaples@domain.elided>

> I have an opportunity to buy some rims for my '88 535.  The seller gave
> me the following code:  BBS 7.5J x 16H2  ET20 KBA 41013.   I know I'm
> reaching here, but does anyone know if this will fit a E28 with rolled
> rear fenders?  They came off a 635.

As far as the wheels are concerned, these appear to be the perfect
fitment for an E28.  The key element is the offset, which is 20mm --
that is what the "ET20" means.  7.5" width is not a problem at all,
and in fact is a notch better than the typical 7" width you get with
16" wheels.

The real question that needs to be answered is:

     What tire size are you planning on running?

My suggestion would be to run 225/50/16 tires.  They are the correct
"plus size" from stock and will definitely fit now that you already
have rolled fender lips.  The selection of tires in that size is
plentiful and runs from the very mundane and inexpensive (i.e. less
than $80) to the very high performance and expensive (~$200).

> Anyone know a web site where I can see this style?

You can try the Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com), but I am not
sure how to decode the wheel code from above.  Perhaps you can get
the seller to take a look and then identify them for you.

While you're there, do a size search for tires on the 225/50/16
so you can start salivating...

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner
'88 535is