E30: Shortening rear bumper shocks?

They have been called diving boards, picnic tables, loading docks, tool
shelves... the bumpers on my '87 325!

While I am getting ready to replace the rear bumper aluminum shell (got
rear-ended), I can't stop thinking about this seemingly straightforward
conversion where I hacksaw the bumper shocks about an inch and 1/4, drill
new holes for the two bumper brakets and effectively shorten the unsightly
diving board!!

Good or bad idea????

Knowing this topic has been dealt with before (and sorry, I am not willing
to spend megabucks on a euro conversion at this point), any ideas,
suggestions, or done-that's will be greatly appreciated!!

TIA and please reply directly, if at all possible!

Leo ('87 325 181K miles purrrring kitten, still attractive --wanting to look
a bit younger, ya'know..)