Re: Please Help!!! 1987 528e

>    I am a college who just made one of my biggest purchases in my life!  Now

Congratulations :-)

> that you all are done laughing I need help fixing a few things.  My hope is
> to try and cut down on as much cost as possible.  I need to replace the SI
> board, heater motor, and sunroof motor.  the heater can wait as i can wear
> more clothing.  My main concern is the SI board.  I need to know where to
> get one as cheap and reiable as possible and where to locate it on the car.

SI board may just be bad batteries. Get a pair of PCB
mountable NICADs and solder them on. Remove the two screws
at the top and the dash just pops out. Pull out the black
tabs at the back of all the coloured plugs then unplug them.

Take the whole thing to bits (not too hard) and the last
thing you'll find are the batteries! Took me 1.5 hours the
first time. You can run for ever with a bad SI board BTW.

Heater motor can fail if the connections aren't clean, been
there. Remove the panel at the top of the firewall. Remove
the plastic housings then unclip the motor. Clean the
connections to it with sand paper and oil the bearings with
heavy or oil grease. Lightweight oil won't be enough.

My E28's sunroof was manual so can't help you there.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!