Re: Gear shift in winter.

"Fadeev, Alex" <Alex.Fadeev@domain.elided> replied:

>>Anup Lakare <alakare@domain.elided> asks:
>>
>> I am experiencing some resistance to shifting gears when the
>> car is cold. Resistance is maximum for the second gear. If I
>> want to shift to 2nd from 3rd when the car is at 10-15MPH
>> there is some sort of resistance telling me "Don't shift down!".
>> When the car heats up to its normal temperature it becomes
>> silk smooth.
>>
>> My manual trany and differential have new fluids.
>> Is this something to looked at or is it a common behavior.
>
>Anup,
>I bet the new fluid is not RedLine.
>I also bet that after swapping your 'new' fluid for RedLine MTL the cold
>shifting difficulties will be all but a memory.
>
>alex f

I wish I could agree but I have Red Line ATF in my gearbox. When the temp
is in the teens F, I have a hard time getting into 2nd. Occasionally will
pop out of 2nd until warmed up. I'm gonna say 'most of the do that'. What
helps is running through the gears before driving.

1998 318ti 5 speed.

...steven

mailto:steven@domain.elided              http://318ti.org
Germantown, MD  ---> Dealer Service comments http://www.servicecounts.net
1998 318ti Arrest Me Red Sport 'FUN2DRV'      National Capital Chapta
w/ open air roof, armrest, pealing lower lip, rear spoiler, Z3 spiral antenna
vented front rotors, kevlar ss brakelines, xbrace, braless, paint chips
Z3 1.9 shift lever w/ lighted knob and euro-intermittent wiper module
My memory is so bad that I get lost on a skid pad. (c) 1999