Re: E28 TRX 220/50/r390 = NO TRACTION!

Eban:  Sorry to hear about your car.  TRX tires are generally considered to be pretty old technology, so it may be that you're simply expecting them to deliver more traction in snow than they are capable of.  Age may be a big factor here - all season tires seem to
lose their ability to grip as they wear and age.  I think Michelins  are particlularly prone to this - the tires seem to get harder (less traction) with wear.

I have an '86 528e, and I use Michelin MXV4's.  Traction in the snow is acceptable, but I don't expect a lot.  I actually got stuck in 6" of snow on my driveway last week - ona section that's flat!  I know you don't want to hear it, but snows on all 4 corners is the
only real answer.  I've been able to improve traction by putting a 50 pound bag of sand in the trunk.

I'm curious how you ended up with metric size wheels on that car - the '86 528e came with 14" wheels, unlike the 535i which had the metric size.  Did you or a PO swap your stock rims for the metrics from a 535?  If so - bad move!  It severely restricts your choice of
tires, as I'm sure you're aware.

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'86 528e
'97 328iC

> I just had an accident last night here in Missouri.
> Sorry, about the WOB, anyways, I was wondering why in the world that my
> TRX 220's get ABSOLUTLEY NO TRACTION in the snow.  I literally mean NO
> TRACTION!  And I seem to get a false sense of traction, too, don't know
> quite what to do with this one...
>
> Any info/suggestions (besides snow tires) on this problem would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eben Shantz BCCA#163464

End of bmw-digest V9 #1364