Re: 528e running idling rough

Mike,
My first suggestion is not to use Bosch Platinum; my understanding is they run too
hot for the 528e.  Check with your dealership for the right plug model; the number
escapes me right now.  More things to check (some too obvious--sorry!):

Idle air stabilizer
Plug wires
Air filter
Valve clearances?
Vacuum leaks?  Got a vacuum gauge?

Hope the suggestions were in some way useful.

Tim

Mike Ahern wrote:

> Hi.  I have an 83 528e.  I wrote about how I had changed the timing belt.  I also
> changed the cap, rotor and
> plugs.  It is still running rough.  Not any worse than it was before I changed
> everything, but not any better.
> When I removed the plugs, they were black with carbon.  I don't think they were
> really fouled, they looked
> cleanest on the electrodes.  I replaced them with bosch platinum plugs and gapped
> them to 0.024, which is what the
> specs I got from autozone said.  That is a pretty close gap.  I probably was plus
> or minus about 2 thousandths with my gapping tool.  The car idles worse and stalls
> when hot.  It seems to start up better when cold.  I read in my
> Bentley manual that this sort of behavior points to fuel system and injector type
> problems.  Anyone have any
> ideas of what to look at first?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Ahern
> mahern@domain.elided
> school of the great Shaun King

- --
To reply to me, please remove __DIE_SPAMMERS__ from my reply-to address.