Re: === 1990 - 735i - Electrics ===

Hi,

I own a 1989 BMW 750iL and I am a member of the 7-Series digest.  One of
the most common strings on the digest is exactly the problem that you are
talking about (I think it is).  Almost every E32 7-Series has that same
problem eventually.  The culprit is the infamous "Mustard Colored Relay".
It is a relay in the fuse box that is literally the same color as mustard.
What happens is that the solder gets little cracks or breaks in it that
cause the parkinglight/taillight warning and/or these lights actually
going out.  What you need to do is either replace this relay (about $50
U.S. and about 30 seconds of time) or re-solder the relay yourself (about
15 minutes to 30 minutes).  I resoldered mine in about 30 minutes and I
have not had a single problem since.  Just make sure that the solder does
not flow between connections (trust me, if it does, it makes the job take
a lot longer).  Search through the archives of the digest and you will
find numerous postings on how to fix it, including part numbers.  I hope
that this will solve your problem.

The web page for the 7-Series digest is:

 http://www.BreszLand.COM/bmw-7er

The people on this list are very knowledgable about the special problems
that develop with the 7-series cars and I would highly suggest that you
sign up to this list in addition to the current list.  If you need any
more info, feel free to contact me because I know the frustration that you
are going through with this problem and I would be happy to help.

- - Brock Husby
  1989 BMW 750iL
  1986 Audi 4000Cs Quattro