RE: Haunted 1987 325

bob norman <b.norman@domain.elided> sez:

> I bought a 1987 325 about a month ago.  It is a well cared for
> one-owner, with 100,000 kms (60,000 miles). [...] there are a
> few problems, some more bothersome than others.  I'll list
> some of the more prominent problems that come to mind.
>
> The heater blower switch only works on "0" or "4".

your blower resistor is dead.
BMW FAQ: http://cbsgi1.bu.edu/bmw/new_bmw.html chapter 7.3.2

> My door locks are totally possessed.  All of the doors Double
> Lock from the drivers side...never just the drivers door

That's the idea behind double locking: you can open the car only with the
master key and only at the driver's door ;-)

> and never just single lock.

OK, one of your problems is that the driver door's lock cylinder is shot. I
bet your locks engage only after you turn the key 90 degrees (double lock),
not 45 degrees (single lock). A replacement lock cylinder will run you ~ $30
from the dealer. 1-2 DIY hours later your lock will be as good as new.

> The only way to unlock these doors is from the trunk.

Properly double locked E30 can not be opened from the trunk.
See:
BMW FAQ chapter 7.5.3
Christopher Pawlowicz central locking FAQ:
ftp://ftp.doe.carleton.ca/pub/chrisp/bmw/central.lock.faq

> It is constantly -30c outside, or at least that's what my car
> tells me.

Your outside temp sensor is either dead or unplugged (driver side front
wheel air duct, or see the BMW FAQ)

> Also, it seems that Temp display is the default setting after
> starting the car. Is there a way to set this to Clock display,
> other than having to hit the time button every time I start
> the car?

Whenever the ambient temperature drops below 36F, temp/clock display (or the
OBC in cars that have it) bongs and changes to the temp mode to warn you
against ice on the road. I suspect this problem will go away in a few
months.

> The AM and WB bands on the radio some times do not work.
> Turn the radio off and on and off and on...and it works
> again...weird.

yep.

> The rear Passenger side power window does not work.

Check the switch (swap with a working one), then check the wiring, then
suspect the window motor/regulator.

> The car had an "inspection" light illuminated when I bought
> it.  I read in the FAQ how to disable it, however it went out
> before I could. Does it go away after a while?

It shouldn't, unless the SI batteries are totally gone.

> Is this right or did the bulb burn out?

unlikely, though possible

> Or is my car haunted?

not really. So far we are covering the regular E30 features. Looks like you
car was neglected by the PO = previous owner (Hint: 60K miles in 12
years!!!!)

> I'm missing the rechargeable light for the glove box as well
> as some tools. Anyone know where to get these things?

The dealer.
The light will run you ~ $30 is largely worthless. Carry a real flash light
in the car instead.
The tools are highly overprices and are of very low quality. But they do fit
nicely into the trunk toolkit and can save the day if you get stick in the
middle of nowhere. All of them will run you close to $100 from the dealer.
Consider first checking the local junk yards and BMW body shops. I bet you
will be amazed how eagerly the body shops will sell you parts off the
totaled (insurance owned) cars on their lot ;-)

> Sorry for the length of this but I'm new to the "new" bimmers,
> and really know very little about them. I hope that the problems
> are real, and not just my car's way of telling me I'm not wanted.

Bob, it is the other way around: your car is begging for some TLC after 12
years of neglect by the PO. Keep it happy and it will provide you with 200+K
miles of smiles!

alex f