classless and arrogant response

Just to set the record straight, here's the "classless and arrogant"
response I sent to Mr. Pace privately.  It was my opinion anyone
expressing surprise and discomfort about spending $70 each for front
shocks might be better served with a more economical choice of vehicles.

"I'd sell you two original equipment shocks I've had sitting around
since 1986 for $50 with only 10,000 miles on them from my 325e that I'd
replaced with HD bilstiens. They are still working great after 86,000
additional miles. Not to jump on you about this, but if you wanted to
pay GM prices for shocks, you should have bought an american car.  $70
for replacement Boge shocks each sounds about right. Don't complain,
koni repacements for my 88 944 turbo come in around $200 each.

If you are mechanically inclined, and have access to the tools, changing
front shocks is not at all that difficult. Your local chapter should be
able to point you in the direction of spring compressors which most
clubs pass around for this purpose. It may be advisable to ask another
member in the area for help who has done it before. Just like anything
else, once you've seen it done, you will never pay someone else to do
this job. Not very hard, but does take time to get it done. A workbench
with a large vise is helpful to hold the strut. You will need access to
an impact wrench to get the nut off the top of the shock. You need the
quick torque action of the wrench to snap the nut loose. Also, don't let
anyone tell you you need anything special to get the tie rod seperated
from the strut. You don't need a spreader tool. Just bang around the
metal joint a few times and use a pointed chisel to place on the bolt
after the nut is removed. The bolt has a recessed dimple in it that will
accept the chisel easily. A few hard hits to it will usually do the job.

I was intimidated by all this a few years ago, but after investing in
some tools, which you will have and use forever, I bit the bullet and
gave it a shot. I bought a Bentley's manual and worked on it. The
satisfaction of having saved hundreds and put it in tools instead, along
with having fixed it yourself is significant.

Eventually you will need a floor jack, jack stands, torque wrench.
metric socket set, and some other misc. tools to do the job. I would be
happy to answer questions if you need help. Save giving your cash for
the really tough jobs like a trans or clutch to give to a mechanic. Good
luck.

Charlie Shimkus

1985 325
1988 944 turbo S

>99% of the members really do care, and are willing to help and offer
advice.

Apparently no help or worthwhile advice was offered.

>I only want to deal with those that are sincere about their BMW's

So do I. I prefaced the remark with " Not to jump on you about this" My
comment was directed more to the ability to financially service the
vehicle. If one has difficulty justifying $70 for a shock on these cars,
it's possible they haven't done their homework with respect to potential
repair and maintainance costs into the future.

>Basically, when I bought the BMW, after previously owning a Volvo, I
was quite aware of the prices of parts.

If that truly is the case, my comment may not have been out of line.
Then why the surprise on cost of the shocks? Maybe I was a little hard
on you, Mr. Pace, and I apologize if you were offended by my remark. I
didn't consider my original message classless and arrogant. I wouldn't
have spent the time sharing my knowledge with you.

My second response was primarily a knee jerk reaction to someone who
couldn't appreciate getting the details and experience of having
perfomed the job countless times. It was wrong, uncalled for, and I have
now learned the lesson of biting my lip and saying nothing. You're right
Mr. Pace, I was out of line here and you deserve an apology. I'm sorry
if I offended you in any way shape or form. You may be, as I'm sure many
others are, on a tight budget and concerned about cost. Others who have
owned the cars for many years have become accustomed to paying higher
prices for higher quality, better engineered German parts and design.
There are folks out there that get in way over their head,  and again, I
apologize if I confused you to be one of them.

Charlie Shimkus