RE: BMW Front Shocks recommended and Driver's Side

> We're talking about a 1987 325 Coupe.  The front shocks are leaking,
> my mechanic does not advise changing them yet.  When I go to change
> them, what do you recommend?

Bob, your mechanic's advise is a bit weird. If the shocks are truly leaking,
they are done for. Time to shop for new ones. The old shocks will not
'regenerate' ;-)
Your choice of replacement shocks will depend primarily on your budget.
Consider replacing all 4 shocks, since the rear ones will not last much
longer then the fronts that have already failed. Boge replacements (4) will
run around $200. Bilsteins will be closer to $350. Bilstein HD's will work
with your existing springs and are valved either very close or identical to
Bilstein Sports.
Let you mechanic replace the front shocks since the front coil-over assembly
will require a spring compressor to swap the shocks.
The rear shocks you can swap yourself in under 1 hour. The rear of the car
will be supported by the springs as you swap the shocks. Follow Bentley
instructions and consider replacing the $15 rear shock mounts while you are
in there.

> Also, my driver's side window (automatic) goes down fine, but when I
> push the switch for it to go up, it starts off slow and then speeds
> up. [...] I sure hope that the window motor is not failing.  I'm
> sure that that is expensive to fix.  Any ideas?

Start with simple stuff: swap out the driver/passenger-side window switches
and see if the driver side switch is at fault. If so, a new one will cost
you around $30 at the dealer or $5 from a junk yard.
If this doesn't help, try greasing the driver side window rails/motor
(follow Bentley instructions on removing the inside door panel, glass).
If that doesn't help, your window regulator (motor) might be heading south.

hope this helps,
alex f