Diagnosis on E28 missing

Ok, I need some help with a diagnosis.  Let me describe the problem, and
tell you what I've tried, and you guys can tell me where to REALLY find
the culprit!  Sort of like a game, except we'll all win.  No more wasted
money for me, you get the thrill of victory!

1) The First miss: imagine the ignition or current cutting out for 1/10
of a second while, gives the car a real jolt; a cut, then back on, sort
of like a hiccup.  It happens randomly about once every helf hour.  If
it does it while you're accelerating in first or second, it can chirp
the tires it's so bad!  Makes you cuss.

2) The second miss: imagine the M30 engine having an epileptic fit.  It
shudders and spits and sputters like a mother, from 10 seconds to 20
minutes.  It's happened 3 times now.  Thank goodness I was off the
highway for the 20-minute seizure, cause the car is completely
undriveable.  You just push the clutch in, and hope it will go away
soon.  You can keep it running with a periodic tap on the gas, but
that's all, no driving.

Winner gets my eternal gratitude, and any markup on the parts you'd like
to send me to fix it.

BTW, I've tried a new coil, coil wire, checked for vacuum leaks, checked
the TDC sensor and other sensors for loose connections, and I'm going to
bolt up a remanufactured DME today to see if that may be the culprit.

Ken Mitchell
Durham, NC