E36 318i running hot...

Hello Group,

Over the holiday I had my alternator belt break on my 94 318i.  Of course
this is the same belt that drives the fan and water pump, so the car
overheated.  After getting it home, I replaced all of the belts and replaced
the coolant, however the car is still overheating.  It appears that coolant
is entering the block because the coolant levels are lowering when the
engine is running.

Should I just replace the thermostat anyway?

Additionally there is a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment
and there is no heat coming from the climate control now as well.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Eric
'94 318i 140k (but running hot)
'86 735  170k (waiting for tranny work)