RE: E36 318i running hot...

> Over the holiday I had my alternator belt break on my 94 318i.
> Of course this is the same belt that drives the fan and water
> pump, so the car overheated.

Bad idea #1: driving an overheating car.

> After getting it home, I replaced all of the belts and replaced
> the coolant, however the car is still overheating. It appears
> that coolant is entering the block because the coolant levels
> are lowering when the engine is running.

Sounds like either or profile/head gasket went south - $$$$ (that's a M42
engine, isn't it?), or you have cracked the cylinder head - $$$$$ (there
_is_ a reason for that temp gauge red zone).
Check your oil. If there is any milky residue in the oil, you know where
some of the coolant is disappearing.

> Should I just replace the thermostat anyway?

Only if you believe in magic.

> Additionally there is a rattling sound coming from the engine
> compartment and there is no heat coming from the climate
> control now as well. Thanks in advance for any assistance

Eric,
Please stop driving your car and take it to a competent mechanic! It sounds
like you have done some serious damage to your engine and may be doing even
more by continuing to run it.

alex f