disconnecting the odometer

Let me first off say this is not me...A friend is considering doing this.
A guy allegedly says he can allegedly disconnect the digital odometer to
help this guy out not clobber his lease mileage.  It just got me thinking...
Whats the penalty for getting caught doing this?  I know i signed like
3 forms about odometer disclosure when i picked up mine.  Will BMW NA rip
you, or is it more for insurance like i'm guessing.  Like if your car is
totalled and you have to give them the mileage to help figure the value of
the car...perhaps they won't pay because its fraud.  Anyone have any
direct knowledge?  Just an evil curiosity.

- - Still wayyyyy under my allotment...
- - Andrew