325 Looks Like a Honda Civic

> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 22:59:38 PST
> From: "Bava Eman" <bmwevans@domain.elided>
> Subject: 325 Looks Like a Honda Civic
>
> If you see a new, silver 3 series parked next to a new, silver Honda Civic,
> you'll only be able to pick the BMW by the blue and white-checkered emblem.
>
> I don't know if Honda stole the plans from BMW or vice versa, but BMWs sure
> have blended in with the rest of the Pacific Rim cars. They used to stand
> out as a clearly superior design, as classics. What was BMW thinking? Did
> they strike a deal with Honda? Are BMWs now made in Japan? Or is Honda just
> getting better designs?
>
> Now, I'm sure BMWs still are better than Hondas, but from the outside in,
> they don't stand out.

For what its worth, one of the car magazine had an article where someone
heavily customized a Yellow Honda Civic.  So impressed with his own
worth, eh work the owner re-badged it as an "M" car.  Sparked a small
debate on alt.autos.bmw.

Along the same line, you can do the same and rebadge a current 3 series as
a Honda.  You'll surely impress a few people once you explain how
discovered that mounting points on a Honda Civic are exactly in the same
location as in the BMW and swapped out the suspension, engine, and entire
powertrain.

Seriously, the lack of style distinction amongst car manufacturers is
quite distressing.