Newbee questions - fixed!

Thanks to everyone who responded to me! The overheating problem is now
solved (stuck thermostat and a loose clamp on one of the hoses). I am
really enjoying working on my 1991 318i, after owning Jags and Alfas for
years, it's such a pleasure to find everything in the engine bay so
accessable and smart (and clean). Coppla questions to m42 owners:

What is the thermostat rating should be? The one that came out was 92*,
and the one that my local parts store sold me was 80*. Is that going to
affect emissions? I do like the sight of the needle on the temp. gauge
stay between 1/4 and 1/2 marks.

After replacing all the belts and checking the accessories pulleys for
bearing failure (all OK), the whining noise is still there. Is that an
m42 feature or what?

 Was there a recall on the profile gasket for this car?

Happy motoring!

Val