Console Valet & Cupholder

I just removed the astray from my 95 M3.  On my car at least it was
attached with some very strong double sided tape.  It came out after
a bit of gentle prodding.  There were two screws that attach a pencil
holder at the front of the astray (unfortunately the pencil holder
doesn't stay in place without the astray) that I removed first, but I
can't remember if that was necessary.

The large storage well is great for a pair of sunglasses...

James

>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:53:06 -0500
>From: rfg@domain.elided
>Subject: Console Valet & Cupholder
>
>	I just purchased a '96 325i.  It has, under the central front
>armrest, what is described in the BMW Accessories catalog as a "console
>valet and cupholder".  The one in my 323i is the one that has internally
>lit coin dispenser, two cupholders, and an ashtray.
>
>	I want to pull out the ashtray unit so I can use the space in which
>the ashtray unit sits for storage of a few small items.  I have removed the
>console and tried every which way to remove the ashtray unit but no dice.
>I am afraid to try to force it for fear of breaking it.  Can it be removed?
>How?
>
>	The catalog shows this "console unit" in three configurations:  all
>have the coin dispenser and two cupholder inserts.  What differs is the
>rear-most section.  It has either (a) a telephone, (b) an ashtray, or (c) a
>large storage well.  I want to remove the ashtray, thus giving me the large
>storage well.
>
>	Many thanks,
>	Bob G.

James McElroy