Re: Console Valet & Cupholder

Bob,

I have the same "console valet and cupholder" in my '95 M3.  It's the one
that has two cupholders toward the front of the car, and a large opening in
the rear, where an ashtray is installed.  The front cupholder has a
removeable ring.  Is this what you have?

When the E36 was first produced (1992), it had no cupholders.  The console
had a single large slot in the console (similar to the console on the E30),
and there was an ashtray mounted in the slot.  When they produced the
"console valet and cupholder" (around 1994), it was made to mount in the
large slot of the console, and the ashtray was removed and installed into
the valet.

I removed the ashtray from the rear, and now have a large opening available
for storage.  I don't remember how it was held into the console valet, but
once you have it removed from the console you'll be able to see how it's
installed.  The console valet in my car was installed with velcro, so it
pulls right out.  I believe that there are provisions to screw it down, but
it wasn't used on my car.  The whole process took about ten minutes.

- -rb