re: fuel odor

>My daughter has a 1986 325es.  There is an odor I originally thought was
>exhaust odor getting into the driver's compartment, but I pretty sure
>now that it is a fuel odor coming from the engine compartment.  I smell
>it when I raise the hood with the engine running, but I can't see a leak
>anywhere.

The bottom line is that 13 year old fuel hose is due for
replacement. It cracks inside before problems are visible
outside. Replace the lot with proper BMW high pressure fuel
hose.

You may also want to check the breather lines from the fuel
tank, I'm not an expert on those with an E30 but they often
cause probs on E24s/28s. Just chock 10mm off either end and
push them back on.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!