RE: fuel odor

Mike,

I would check *all* your fuel lines in the engine compartment immediately.
If you haven't replaced them in the past two years, buy new fuel hose from
BMW (don't cheap out and get aftermarket) and either replace all the lines
yourself or have a shop that you trust replace them.  Having a fuel line
burst under pressure is really bad for your health.  If the hoses are less
than a year or two old, check them for splits or stiffness.  The fuel hoses
run from
the fuel line under the car to the fuel filter (behind the drivers' side
shock mount), and then to a 'T' fitting that splits the fuel line between
the cold start valve (on the right side of the manifold) and the fuel rail.
The hose that runs from the 'T' fitting to the cold start valve is
expensive, but you have to buy the specific part (you can't just use regular
fuel hose as it is specially bent).  Replace the 'T' if you are replacing
the hoses.

If your hoses look OK, check the cold start valve.  It is possible that it
is
dribbling from the housing.

Good luck,

- -Derek
 '90 325is
 former owner of a now-deceased '86 325es