E-28 Ignition Problem Fix (long)

Hello Digesters!

I spent the major portion of my Sunday fixing a intermittent no-start
problem on my 1984 533i and thought I might be able to save some
digesters some time in the future by giving them a run-down.    As I
said the car would only start intermittently, at first about 2 of three
times then rapidly declining to one of three and then one of ten.  What
would happen is that when the key was turned there was nothing, no
crank, no click, nothing.    At first I thought the solenoid on the
starter was faulty although I would still expect to hear a click if that
was the case.    I followed Bentley and checked for at least 8 volts at
Terminal 50 of the solenoid (easy) and found I was getting only 4 volts
there when the ignition was in the Start position.    Bentley then
would like you to check terminal 50 of the ignition switch end (the part
not by the tumblers) which involves a bit of taking apart to determine
if it is the ignition switch or wiring leading from the ignition switch
to the starter solenoid.   At this point, I just ordered a ignition
switch (~$55) because if it was faulty I didn't want to have the car sit
around all disassembled for a few days.     To gain access to the
ignition switch you must first remove the steering wheel.   The remove
the shroud above the drivers pedals.   Then remove the lower steering
column cover.    None of these were too difficult as per Bentley.    I
figure I'm in for the one hour job I originally thought I'd have.   I
was wrong.    First of all all of Bentley's pictures on this job are
shown with the top portion of the steering column cover off as well.   I
quickly found that access to the end of the ignition switch near the
tumblers would be quite difficult with this cover on.    Access at this
point to the other end of the ignition switch was easy at this point so
I thought I should first check terminal 50 here to see if I have proper
voltage.    Here is another place where Bentley falls short.    No
diagram, schematic, marking to tell you which of ten points in the
switch are terminal 50.    I checked all of the continuity tests for the
switch at this point though and they all checked out OK.     I  the ran
a wire from terminal 50 of the started solenoid into the passenger
compartment to see which terminal I had continuity with to check for
greater than eight volts.    I found that Terminal 50 at the ignition
switch is the black and gold wire (position 10 in Bentley).    I only
had around four volts here as well, so I determined that it was indeed
the ignition switch and not the wiring between the switch and the
solenoid.   The tough part again is the top portion of the switch near
the tumbler.   It is surrounded by wires, at a funny angle and with a
very tight clearance.   I removed the set screw that holds it in place
and tried to wiggle that bugger out but you lack about a 1/8" clearance
to get it out.   I then removed about  5 bolts which were not easy to
get at to try and remove the top steering column cover to gain better
access to the switch.   I found that the five shear bolts which hold the
ignition module in place were also holding this top of the column cover
on and would have to be chiseled off to remove the cover.   With all the
wires and stuff in here, that seemed next to impossible.      I tried a
few more times to get that sucker out and could almost get it by
rotating the switch after it was pulled out about 1/2".   I still lacked
about 1/16" clearance.   Then out of frustration I found the trick.   I
got a crowbar and bend the top portion of the steering column cover out
about a 1/16" in that spot and it was easy to remove and replace the
switch.   The cover is made of reinforced heavy gauge  molded steel and
really took some force to bend it out.    After replacement of the
switch I bent it back with a hammer and you cannot tell the difference
at all.      The switch took care of the problem and my E-28 starts
every time now.     What began as a 1 hour job took about six hours but
with the bending trick I could probably do it in about 1-1.5 hours.
Hope this helps out a digester in the future.

Chris Bommarito
bommaric@domain.elided

- --
Why is it that if someone tells you that there are 1 billion stars in
the
universe you will believe them, but if they tell you a wall has wet
paint
you will have to touch it to be sure?