Re: 1999 M3 stereo upgrades

Alan asks:

> Also, 1) does the factory system use a built-in or external amp?  If
> external, where? and 2) are there crossovers?  If so, where?

I can't give you any advice about the Blau system, but to answer your
specific questions:

(1) the factory system has an external amp, but the head unit actually puts
out a signal that's higher then the normal pre-amp outputs for most
after-market units.  In my '97 328iC convertible, the amp is located behind
the rear seat, on the right (passenger) side.  In the hard top the amp is in
the trunk, behind the carpeting on the left (driver's) side.

(2) Cross-overs are built into the factory amp - it actually has ten pairs
of speaker outputs.

Bottom line: the amp and speakers almost invariably have to be upgraded
simultaneously -- it's very difficult to do one without the other.

Again, this is for the '97 e36 -- I think it should be the same in your '99
M3, but YMMV.

I upgraded my stereo by adding a factory changer (much less expensive than
having the dealer do it), and then a new amp (Rockford Fosgate), front
speakers (MB Quart) and subs (JL Audio) in the trunk.  I kept the factory
head unit because (a) I didn't want to have to do a lot of rewiring of the
car (I could use the built-in "I-Bus" wiring), and (b) I think the major
weaknesses in the stock stereo are the lack of bass and the mediocre quality
of the factory amp and speakers.  The factory amp is really under-powered -
it's basically a 4 x 15 watt amplifier that is touted as being a 200 watt
amp (measured at an incredible 10% THD). I think the only weakness in the
stock head unit is the sensitivity of the FM tuner - I get a lot more static
on FM stations in this car than I do in my 528e (which now has a Sony head
unit/CD).

I documented my stereo upgrade on my web site:
http://ebaines.home.att.net/bmw.htm

- -Chip Baines
BMW CCA
'97 328iC