RE: <E30> Dash cluster removal

> Has anyone had any experience with removing the dash cluster on  a
> '90 e30? If I disconnect the battery, unplug the airbag connector
> under the steering column & remove any fuse to the SRS.. 1. will it
> be relatively safe to remove the airbag? & 2. if I'm successful with
> that, will the SRS light flash & need to be reset  when I put it all
> back together? Anyone know of a site that describes their experience
> with this? I need to replace the SI batteries & would like to do it
> without having to take to the dealer.

Richard,
	You are making it way too difficult.
	1. Leave the steering wheel alone. Same for the SRS stuff. You can
remove the instrument cluster with the wheel still in place. You might have
to turn the wheel to about 10 o'clock to give yourself enough wiggle room
for sliding the cluster out of the dash. That's it.
	2. Now follow Bentley instruction on removing the instrument
cluster. They are pretty accurate on this subject (there should also be
write-up on this subject in the archives:
http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/search.html). The first time you do this it
might take you a better half of an hour. The second time you will have the
cluster in and out in under 10 minutes.

alex f