<E30> Dash cluster removal

Has anyone had any experience with removing the dash cluster on  a '90
e30? If I disconnect the battery, unplug the airbag connector under the
steering column & remove any fuse to the SRS..    1. will it be
relatively safe to remove the airbag? & 2. if I'm successful with that,
will the SRS light flash & need to be reset  when I put it all back
together? Anyone know of a site that describes their experience with
this? I need to replace the SI batteries & would like to do it without
having to take to the dealer.

Thanks, Richard Vaughn
'95 740i (76k)
'90 325i (65k)