RE: <E30> High Revs at Cold Startup

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:49:53 -0400
> From: "Michael K. Sopchick" <SOPCHICKM@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E30> High Revs at Cold Startup
>
> Friends:
> I am now forced to park my 85 325e (5 speed) in the driveway and the =
> weather
> is getting a little chillier here in the Washington DC area.
> I've noticed
> for about a week now that when I start the car in the
> morning, the engine
> races (progressively worse each time) before settling back to a normal
> idle.  It does not sound good and cannot be good for the engine.  Any
> thoughts on what I should be checking here?  TIA
> Mike

Does it rev to about 2000RPM for about a second and then drop to about
900RPM, or is it stuck at higher revs?  If the former, that means your cold
start valve and your idle control valve & modules are working correctly.  If
it sticks at high revs, then you may have a bad idle control module or idle
control valve.  Check the ICM by looking above your glove box (under the
dash) and see if you have a green ICM or a black ICM (should be to the left
of the Motronic box).  If black, replace it as they were superceded.  If it
is green, then you may want to check to see if the idle circuit is operating
correctly.  With the engine running, disconnect the idle control module
(metal cylinder with two hoses on it--one to the manifold by the cold-start
valve and one to the intake side of the throttle body).  The revs should
climb to about 2500RPM and hold.  If not, you may have a bad ICM.  You can
get a used ICM and ICV from Gisco Import Salvage (800-438-7158) for about
$35 each.  If it turns out you only need one, they will take back the
unnecessary part and credit you the full amount.

- -Derek
 '86 325es (totaled)
 '?? 325is