[E36] - Hoosier Tire Pressure

Recently I ran a session at Watkins Glen starting with a cold psi of 39 all
around on my 245/40/17 Hoosiers.  Just off the track, the pressure measured 50+
psi.  The run was very fine, lots of speed and fairly smooth.  Instructor
remarked that my tires were really "carrying me".  Was my safety margin more
narrow at this psi?  There certainly seemed to be only limited tire deflection.
Tires looked good after the school with only slight signs of wear.

Ran again a month later at a cold psi of 35 front and 34 rear as a different
instructor didn't like the idea of 39 psi cold.  Lots more tire chirping and
chatter naturally.  Car didn't corner so crisply. Tires looked more "beat up".
Off the track, psi measured around 42 as traffic held me back a bit and the
tires didn't get as hot.   Was it safer?

The question is, right off the track, what's a good target psi for the Hoosiers
after a "fast" 20 minute session on a mild to warm day, dry track,  lots of open
road (e.g. 112 mph thru the esses, 125 mph in the backstraight,  and 110 on the
frontstraight for 6 or 7 laps in a row?

FWIW, I also rode with both my instructors in their groups and they were
strictly top notch.  Both passed just about everyone else in their respective
groups, and did so smoothly, with controlled throttle oversteer through the
chute, etc. in their race-prepared Porsches  (911 and 944 Turbo respectively).
I guess I'm just a lucky student <g>.  TIA

Cal
95 M3 SC