RE: <E30> High Revs at Cold Startup

> I am now forced to park my 85 325e (5 speed) in the driveway and the
> weather is getting a little chillier here in the Washington DC area.
> I've noticed for about a week now that when I start the car in the
> morning, the engine races (progressively worse each time) before
> settling back to a normal idle.

Mike,
	Check your idle control valve/brain. The first could be gummed up
and sticking in colder ambient temperature. Take it out and give it a WD40
bath. The latter could be heading south.
	Also check everything that prompts DME to fire cold start injector:
the temp sensor on the radiator, connectors, DME and the cold start injector
itself.

> It does not sound good and cannot be good for the engine.

It indeed does sound lousy, but I don't think it's harming your engine
unless the RPMs are racing towards the red line while the engine is still
cold.

good luck,
alex f