RE: new member question

> I want something sporty so from what i understand the
> sportiest (short of an M3) would be a 325is or is it a 325es?
> What i'm wondering is what is the difference between all of
> the 6 cylinder 3 series?

Matt,
	You are referring to 'i' engines on older E30 3-series cars ('87-91
model years, up to '92 for convertible): 168/166 bhp/lbs-ft verses 121/170
bhp/lbs-ft for 'e' (eta) engines.
	's' is for sport package (unlike 2-door designation with newer E36
cars). E30 's' package included somewhat stiffer shocks (irrelevant by now
since you will be replacing them by now anyway), a bit shorter springs,
sport leather (nappa - 37 mulched rat skins) seats. Plus the following items
that were optional on 'i' models: 25% limited slip differential (LSD), on
board computer (OBC), power sunroof, 'premium' sound package, something else
I'm forgetting.
	There were absolutely no differences in the engine between 'i' and
'is' models, despite what some used car sellers would claim.
	For more info:
http://www.bmwe30.net/
http://www.infomatch.com/~cbaisley/bmw.htm
http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/
http://www.bimmer.org/e30/messages/
http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/bmw_e30.html

> Do some have more power? better options?

no, yes.

> Did they come with a shorter bumper at sometime?

'89+ model years (MY) had shorter body colored 5mph bumpers. +1 model year
for convertibles.

> Are any years better than others?

'87-'88 cars had an older version of Motronic (engine management brain) that
used a separate idle management computer. However, they also had two fuel
pumps (main + transfer). '89+ MY cars got rid of the transfer fuel pump and
DME included idle control management.
'88-'89 MY had ellipsoid low beams (good stuff).
'90+ MY got a driver side airbag, more sound proofing and body colored side
mirrors. But lost the ellipsoid lights.

> How long do these things last?

200+K miles judging by owners on this and UUC digest.

> and finally..... What it gonna cost? (ballpark, i don't need
> exact numbers)

http://www.edmunds.com
http://www.kbb.com

alex f