new member question

    Hi all, I'm a new listie, but i've been on lists like this one before.
Well, it's time that I get a decent car.  To give you a little background,
I'm a senoir in highschool and have restored a '67 Austin Healey Sprite.
(for those of you that don't know what it is, think small british
convertible)  It's about time to go to college so I need something that'll
get me there and back home every once in awhile.

    I've been looking into older 3 series.  I like the coupe and a 4 door is
out of the question.  I've driven a buddies 325 coupe it's somethin like a
'95 or so, and also drove a 318is don't remember the year, but think it was
around '90.  I liked the drive of the newer one but not the styling.  Loved
the looks of the 318is but it wasn't powerful enough.  I'd really like an
older one.  So here goes, questions....

I want something sporty so from what i understand the sportiest (short of an
M3) would be a 325is or is it a 325es?
What i'm wondering is what is the difference between all of the 6 cylinder 3
series?
Do some have more power? better options?
Did they come with a shorter bumper at sometime?  (Some of the one's I've
seen have these big chrome and black bumber things that stick way out, but I
seem to recall the 318is i dove wasn't like that, seems like it had shorter
body colored or black bumpers.)
Are any years better than others?
How long do these things last?
and finally..... What it gonna cost? (ballpark, i don't need exact numbers)

THANKS
Matt Smith