Re: Another newbie has some questions

John,

Welcome to the list.

>Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:39:44 -0400
>From: "Schmock, JOHN F" <schmocjf@domain.elided>
>Subject: Another newbie has some questions
>
>Howdy y'all !
>
>I am the proud new owner of a 1989 535i A.
>I nave no owner's manual so here are some
>really dumb questions for ANYONE to answer.

You should be able to order a replacement owner's manual from the dealer.

>Next to the shift lever is a switch marked A at
>one end and M at the other. How is it used?

The normal mode for an automatic transmission car is to
shift...automatically (duh).  So, when you turn the car on and put the car
into a forward gear, the transmission will be in the auto shift mode, and
the gear indicator (on the dash) will either indicate E D for Economy (if
you put the lever into the 'D' position) or S x (where x is 1, 2, or 3),
which indicates Sport mode and the gear that you've selected.

If you put the lever into the '3' position, the car will auto shift through
gears 1,2,3 and use the Sport programming mode, which will hold each gear
for a longer time (higher RPM), and will downshift with a lighter
application of the accelerator pedal.  You will notice improved performance
when driving around at city speeds, but I don't recommend using S 3 for
highway speeds, because the engine will be turning at a very high speed.

The A/M switch lets you select whether the transmission will automatically
shift, or whether you will shift it manually.  Basically, M will keep the
transmission in whatever gear has been selected by the lever.  So, if you
have the lever in position 3, the transmission will stay in third gear.

The best use (that I can think of) for using the M position is when you're
driving in snowy/icy conditions, and want to move off from a stop using
second gear (to reduce wheelspin).  Select second gear with the lever (S 2),
and then select M with the switch (the display will change to M 2), and
you'll start off AND STAY in second gear until you move the lever to another
gear.

I don't recommend switching from A to M while the car is in motion.  I don't
know if it will mess anything up, but it just doesn't seem to be something
that should be done.

>Is the orange dipstick for oil and the yellow one
>for transmission fluid?

My car only has the dipstick for engine oil, so I can't help you here.
Where are the dipsticks located?

>Would 20W50 in summer and 10W40 in winter be
>appropriate oil weights for a Houston resident?

The owner's manual has a chart for this.  I don't have it handy, but I
believe that 15W-40 is recommended for year-round use in TX.

>If someone could send me copies of the pages from the
>owner's manual concerning the trip computer, I am ready
>to compensate you for your trouble ;-)   Let's talk off-line.

You'd be better off getting an owner's manual from the dealer.

- -rb