<E28> Removing lower shock mount

Help

I am just starting to replace my rear subframe bushings. I put the car up on
jacks and ran into problems right off. I have jack stands supporting the body
and one under the trailing arm. I removed the lower shock mount bolt but
cannot move the shock away from the arm. Why? I even tried jacking the arm up
a few inches. Do I have to remove the upper mounting bolts? I didn't want to
if I didn't have to.

Please contact me direct. Thanks in advance,

Peter Schoppelry
86  E28      181K