Cross Country, Southern Route

My wife and I are going to be making a cross country trek later this summer
and had a few questions for those who are familiar with traveling the
southern route.  We are going to travel from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon
(probably south rim), then to Monument Valley and Mesa Verde.  We are going
in our 85 535i and
was wondering the road conditions to these places especially to Monument
Valley and Mesa Verde.  Are the roads paved or gravel? and is there a point
where I should stop and just rent a 4wd drive?  Also, after Mesa Verde, we
are going
to New Orleans.  Could someone recommend a good route that combines nice
scenery and interstate?  Thanks in advance.
Charles Lee
cyclee@domain.elided
85 535i 186K
BMW CCA# 161###