E-30 shift linkage problems

This week I had someone pull out in front of me -- slammed on the brakes and
impacted left front to his right front at maybe 10-15 mph.  There was not a
whole lot of damage -- about $2000 which adds up easily.  My problem is that
the shift linkage is now messed up.  Not sure what has happened, but
alignment doesn't seem right and there seems to be more movement of the
shifter in the verticle (up and down).  If I hold up on the shifter, finding
the 5 gears is ok, but getting into reverse is always difficult.  At times --
even when driving -- if I push down on the shifter, I get gear kickback.  I'm
hoping that someone out there is familiar with the stock linkage to give me a
clue as to what is happening.  I already got a wide eye from two of the
estimators when I mentioned it -- as if I was trying to get a bad shifter
fixed.  That's not the case.  It worked fine until I tried to move it after
the accident.  Two thoughts I have -- one is that I may have broken a mount,
and the second is that I might have applied some arm pressure on the shifter
at the point of impact.  Is there a ring or holder that could be off --
or????  Any help would be appreciated.  I want to be ready for the insurance
adjuster.  Also, are there parts available for the linkage -- or do you have
to go for a new shifter?

Tom McPherson
87 325es