Help! Shark Attack!

Greetings all,

For the past couple of months I've been kicking around Sharking my '97
328is.  It seems that several manufacturers now have performance
software for the OBDC II, but since I've heard such good things about
the Jim C. software, I thought I'd give him every opportunity to talk me
out of his stuff before looking elsewhere.

I have a short list of questions/concerns.  I use premium fuel at all
times (I understand this is a prerequisite of the software) so that's
not an issue.  I want to know if other mods (such as a K&N filter,
modified air box, etc.) can be donw AFTER the new software is installed
or if these things need to be done in advance of the software change.
Or does the Jim C. software account for these changes and can adjust
accordingly.

I also have an '86 BMW K100RT motorcycle and changing such things makes
absolutely ZERO difference on the dyno (not mine, others on the web).
I've also read that other makers make a different chip that is
reprogrammable for intake/exhaust mods which is kind of where all these
questions started from.

Anybody have recommendations/horror stories or can point me to someplace
in particular on the web?  Thanks in advance.

John Virnig
'97 BMW 328is
'97 GMC Sierra K1500
'86 BMW K100 RT