Re: [E28] speakers, sound system

emccoy@domain.elided (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:

> Hi there.  I'm looking for some information on what I'll need to do to
> replace the sound system on my '88 528e and what, exactly, I should be
> doing.  The head unit has got to go - the unfixable static has
> outlasted my patience []

Eric, sounds like you've decided to dump the thing anyway, but just in
case you give it a second chance here's an experience that may pinpoint
the "unfixable static". My '96 318i suffered from the same problem - on
AM only - and with a background in radio engineering I insisted it was
genuinely a fault. My antenna is mounted inside the car, on or near the
rear window, and back there is a small pre-amp for boosting the signal
into the antenna cable that leads forward to the radio itself. Turned
out one of the ground connections at that pre-amp was slightly corroded;
fixing that made the static disappear completely. The telltale was about
100 ohms of resistance on the ground connection, from the pre-amp
through the antenna cable to the radio - there should be almost no
resistance at all.