Re: Fire Extinguisher Mounts

Don Stevenson wrote:
">Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:05:32 -0400
From: dstevenson <dstevenson@domain.elided>
Subject: <All> Fire Extinguisher Mounts

Hi

I know some of you out there have these so what do you think?"

Don,

In my Formula Ford, where the extinguisher was in front of the seat on the
floor under my thighs, I did the same that you plan to do - a big piece of
racer's tape over the buckle.  It never moved or came loose.  In my Saab and
Porsche I added more security.  In the Saab it was mounted in the rear shelf
behind the headrest (the reason I came up with a more secure mounting) and
in the Porsche it was on the seat frame rail at the front of the passengers
seat.

I took two springs, about 5 - 6 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter (you'll
have to experiment on the exact size), bored holes in the edged of the
extinguisher bracket, and mounted the springs around the extinguisher to
hold it to the bracket.  The extinguisher was easier to get out of the
bracket than into the bracket.  You unclasped the lock, pulled the head of
the extinguisher out of the slot it fits into, then pulled it out of the
springs.

I never crash-tested this modification.  If you mount the extinguisher
horizontal, they tend to vibrate and can fall out of the holder.

Hope this helps,

Jim Farris