<E30> Replaced Belts- Still Squealing!

E30, M20 1990 325i

Several bloody knuckles and one stripped bolt later I have replaced the
fan/alt, A/C, and power steering belts on my 1990 325i

I replaced them because they were making this repetitive squealing sound.
They are still making the sound! Too loose I thought. so I tightened them.
Still with the noise.

Maybe its not the belts. I was told that if I poured water on the belts
and they stopped making noise, it was the belts. Poured the water- the
noise stops.

The Chiltons manual says things about 1/2inch deflection for every
10inches between pulleys and such. I made it less (too tight?). Am I
destroying my car? Did I get cheapo belts?

Can anyone suggest possible culprits/solutions? I've driven the car
about 50 miles since installing them because I absolutely had to.

thanks,

	Daniel