Re: 325i advice

> We will be buying a used 89 325i and use it strickly for autoXing.  The car
> needs a new radiator, and some engine tune up.
>
>  Now the problem is, I've never looked under the hood of a 325i or an BMW
for
> that matter. We have mostly worked on Hondas and Nissans.  My question is,
>how hard is it to work on these cars if you haven't had any experience with
them?

having owned a Nissan vehicle and now a BMW, i can tell you that the BMWs
engine layout is absolutely NOTHING like the bundle o' wires i encountered
with my Nissan. the engine is laid out quite nicely, everything is easily
accessible, and you shouldnt have too much trouble working on it yourself.
after you buy the car, id suggest you immediately buy a Bentley manual for
the E30 cars (about $35- 40). it is like the bible for working on these cars.
 when you buy the car, try to find out when the timing belt was last changed.
if the seller doesnt know, change it right away, just to be safe. BMW says
every 50 -60k, and if that belt snaps, pistons + valves + contact = new
engine. yes, its been known to happen to people who neglected to change it.

>   also will E30 M3 components fit in an '89 325i?

Many M3 parts are interchangeable with your car; mostly suspension
components, differential, control arms, etc., and are wonderful upgrades for
the car.  some of the best upgrades you can make to an E30 325i are swapping
out old parts for M3 parts.  good luck with your project.

Kyle B.   '87 325is
NCC