97 M3

Hi Folks!

I have been off the list for a while, but I had a unpleasant thing happen
to me on the way home from work yesterday.  I was driving down the road
and all of the sudden a horrific nosie started coming from the bottom of
the car.  I pulled over and the black plastic cover thingy under the engine
had all but come off.  There was another smaller piece that came completely
off.  I have read in the past that this has happened to other people and
I am trying to get more information on why this happens.  I am taking it
in for an oil maintanence next week and I want them to fix it under waranty.
I talked to the service rep and naturaly they put the blame on me and said
"that you must have hit something, they don't just fall off".  Well, I am
the only one that drives this car and I know for a fact that I have not
hit anything, it came off while I was driving down a smooth road.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to E-mail me
directly at: dowens01@domain.elided

Thanks,
David Owens