New To Group; Advice Needed!

Hi To All,
I am "graduating" from a tired '87 VW GTI, and went to
have a look today at an '87 325 four door. The car was
in outstanding (near perfect) condition, and had
99,000 one owner miles on it. I thought that by '87
that BMW had gone with the more powerful "i" motor,
but a little 'net research proved otherwise, and this
car does indeed have the "eta" motor. This ordinarily
would not be the first choice, but I drove the car and
it was flawless. I found the low end torque to be
impressive, and could probably live with it.
I have two (well, maybe three) questions; I offered
$4500 for the car, which was a little more than I
thought the car was worth (the owner was looking for
$4900); maybe not? Also, is there anything that I
should be aware of in terms of problem areas with this
particular car? It has new tires, a recent power
steering pump, and has been serviced exclusively at
the dealer. I would really prefer to have an "is" two
door, but this car was really in exceptional
condition. From my experience with VW motors (mine has
over 200,000 miles on it, burns very little oil, and
still working on the original clutch), German motors
seem to last forever. With the lower redline of the
"eta" engine, will durability be as good? TIA :-)
Alexander MacLeod