Re: <all> European CCA type club

> Dear fellow BMW enthusiasts, As BMW CCA members living in Europe, we
> enjoy reading about the club life of our fellow members in the U.S.,
> both in The Roundel and on the BMW digests. So much so that some of
> us living abroad have wondered how we could share in and contribute
> to the fun. Being sociable creatures, we found there was but one
> obvious, if perhaps slightly audacious answer - form a club.

   Well you could try to do that, but...

- - What would you call your club?   Perhaps BMW ACA (BMW Auto Club of
  Americans).   So you'll meet with other Americans living in Europe
  with which you understand how to share values.

- - If you form some American club you'll disassociate yourself further
  from the native Europeans around you.   Wouldn't you rather enchance
  your European experience by joining local club?

- - But then, as I understand it, a club in Europe is very different
  thing then in the States.   It is also different in Northern Europe
  compared to Southern Europe.

- - For example, I visited the BMW Club of France some ten years ago.
  It had a grand total of 75 members.  To become a member you had to
  be nominated by existing member and then you were on one year's
  probation. I guess I shouid have felt honored to be accepted at
  their meeting at all, but then I speak French fluently and that
  might have helped.  This is an example of Southern Europe style
  club.

- - In Germany, there are maybe 50-100 different BMW clubs that are very
  loosely tied to BMW clubs Europa.  They are specialized to either
  one model BMW or to one region.  This is example of Northern Europe
  style clubs.

- - In Great Britian, you'll find things a bit closer to what is done in
  the States as far as clubs go.   I attended a BMW CGB annual meeting
  some years ago and felt they were just like American clubs, except
  for the fact they were Tux (or celts for the scottish) at the formal
  national meeting.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1045