Will External Antenna Help?

Hi.  If you have experience or knowledge of the differences I can expect =
for an outside antenna vs. the built-in version, I would appreciate =
hearing your advice. =20

I have a '95 530.  It has the Alpine stock radio with antenna built into =
the rear window. I am very unhappy with reception, the AM band mostly, =
but FM is nothing to write home about either.  In the evenings, and  =
whenever weather or location get a little questionable I can count on a =
very, very lot of static on all stations.  I live in the =
Baltimore/Washington metro area, so there are good local signals.  The =
static (whirring) gets worse with engine speed.  I have had the dealer =
look at it, and they believe the system is grounded properly and =
otherwise working as designed.  As a possible way to improve, they =
suggested a heavy duty capacitor/noise filter, which we have done.  The =
filter helped a little, but basically the problem is still there. =20

I called Crutchfield to talk about tuner sensitivity of other available =
radios for the BMW.  The sales rep said he thought that an external =
antenna would make a lot of difference and I should start there if I am =
otherwise happy with the audio system (which I am).  They have a black =
power antenna which he thought would integrate with the Alpine on/off =
controls.   Can I hear some advice and words of experience from you =
Digester's?

Thanks, Mark.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1012