Re: BIG SUV -- be afraid

At 10:50 AM 3/3/99 -0500, Jay wrote:
>Yes, I know some need a full sized SUV to tow AND haul a family around,
>and it is good these are availible for this use, but 90% of them will never
>see tow duty, and the though of someone driving them that doesn't under-
>stand how much mass is there to slow down in a panic situation, and how
>much damage they'll do to another vehicle scares me.

It should.  I live in Salinas, CA (the redneck capital of the CA central
coast) and it seems like every other vehicle is either a Suburban, an
Explorer or the new Expedition.  There is a lot of truth to the "Soccer
mom" thing too from my observations.  The other day I saw a lady driving a
Suburban leaving a parking lot (she was in front of me) in an obvious hurry
trying to beat traffic and she cut the corner, drove up on the sidewalk and
rammed smack into a fire hydrant.  Caved in the side of the car (new by the
way...no plates yet).

I own an Explorer.  I hate it.  I bought it when my first child was due,
drove it for 3 months and gave it to my SO.  I then bought the M5.  As soon
as the Explorer dies I'll probably get a 5 - touring.  I'm not even that
excited about the SAV, but I will reserve judgment until I see it.

>One solution might be weight-class license  for say, >6000lb vehicles,
>to fill the gap between normal drivers licence, and CDL.

I like this.  A different license to drive these monstrosity's.  If you
need it for a tow vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem.  If you're simply
looking for a big vehicle to protect your family (ans who of use would be
against that), it shouldn't be a problem.  BTW, did any of you see the new
survey released by the highway commission?  Say's its the design, not the
weight of these SUV's that cause so much damage and the auto company's
didn't disagree.

FWIW.

Jerry "I don't need no SUV" Chyo
'88 M5 (luv it)