info on e285 series buy or not to buy?

> Im considering on buying a 5 series..need a car for commuting..how are  they i
> presenntly own a e36 m3. also how are the 6 series. is it wise to buy a 5
> series stick or auto with high mileage..thanks.

IMHO, The 5 series is a great commuter but you must be mindful of a few
things:

1.  The auto tranny of the pre '87 models was prone to failure at around
120k.  There was a fix for the 87 (aka 88s) that involved an additional
hole being drilled for better atf flow that fixed it.

2.  Shimmy from front end.  This is caused by control arm bushings and
warped front rotors.  If you feel shimmy during acceleration it is
probably suspension components, if on braking, then it is the rotors.

3.  Electrical gremlins were prevelant in this car.  The SI board will
cost you $2 bills from programma, the fuses need to be re-seated, the
relays for fuel pump and the main relay will need replacing.

4.  Drive train shudder.  This could be a couple different things but in
the auto it manifests itself in a shudder upon takeoff that starts at
30mph and goes away at 35.

Those are the troubled areas.  Of course, if the car has the oem wheels
you will be looking at $175 per tire to replace them when the time
comes.  I have a set of wheels for you if that is the case.  They are
prime wheels with 215/60/15s with more than half the tread life
remaining.

My car runs well.  I have the J.C. chip, 7 series rotors, 16" wheels,
bilstein shocks, 750il bushings in the control arms, K&N filter, etc.
After 5 years of ownership I am starting to look for something a little
stronger.  I think an M5 perhaps....

Best of luck

Tom Jarlock
88 535ia, 173,000