Hood won't open on '87 325iS

> A friend of mine is looking at picking up a
> 1987 325iS with several problems, one of
> which is that the driver's compartment hood
> release level does nothing.  If pulling the cable
> from inside the driver's compartment will not
> release the hood catches, what is the best
> way to release the catches and open the hood?

This happened to my 5 series this year.  PITA!  I would insert a
screwdriver under the hood, near the latch to put pressure on the
latch.  On the 5 series there are two springs, so I needed to do this on
both sides.  Then go into the cabin and pull the cable again.  The added
pressure on the springs should cause the latches to give.  Be careful
not to crease the hood with you screwdrivers.

Best of luck,

Tom Jarlock
88 535ia, 173,000
CCA#127308